Christian Hospital Taxila, Pakistan


Shipping was all mixed up after The World War 2nd. The Mission suggested that we go to my home in Vancouver, Canada and see if we could find something across the Pacific. But about the 3rd Sat, the phone rang: "Can you be in N Y to sail next Sat. a.m.? By train it takes 3-4 days. So our trunks went the Pacific way and we went the Atlantic route. The trunks reached Bombay and in Jan. 1947. Dr. Vroon and I went to Bombay to clear the car and drive it up country while trunks were shipped. They reached Taxila in May and were unpacked in Sept. 1947 (18 months after they had been packed).
We crossed the Atlantic in an Italian ship which had been a troopship. There were 600 passengers, 150 missionaries going to Africa & India.The ship Docked in Alexandra and we got on a freighter with 4 of us passengers: the Millers of UP office in Gujranwala and ourselves: Olive, I and our one year old son David. It took two weeks from Alexandria to Karachi. Train to Gujranwala arrived Friday evening. Sunday my temperature went up a degree every hour to 104 and then suddenly both ends of GI tract erupted. I was taken to Sialkot Mission Hospital and was so sick I thought the end had come. But it hadn't and after wards a UP missionary escorted us to Wazirabad and on to Rawapindi where Dr. Vroon came by car and drove us to Taxila. On the car ride, Olive was very aware of the dust but Vroon said the hospital compound will be much nicer. We lived with the Vroons that year while we studied Urdu. The Mission wanted us in Rawalpindi for language but Vroon insisted we needed to learn about the hospital as they were to leave on furlough in the spring.
The goat meat was tough. A pressure cooker was in our goods and we looked forward to seeing if it would improve the meat. But a pressure cooker needs steady heat which is difficult to do with charcoal fire so the cook just quit using the pressure control on top!! Naturally the meat was no more tender.
We soon adapted to whipped cream and jam in place of butter and jam and even told the General Director of Mission when he came out that we were going to miss the mixture when we went home he could not understand it.
There was only a wire fence around the compound and people soon worked their way through it for more direct access to the grounds. The first thing I did was to start a cement block fence along the road. so that we could control the entrance with a gate.
Then I started to try to define regular pathways -- we tried at first with some sticks which soon disappeared for the patient's cooking fires.

   When the Hospital started we had open land and I tried to develop pathways. I'm told that the night before I left Bach someone started to go across a field and then caught himself and said: We can't cross here, "He hasn't left yet!"
None of this may interest you, I have to stop for now so I  just send it. Andrew
Developed by ASSoft, +92-346-5708278